Wednesday, November 12, 2008

TOFURKY

TOFURKY??? Are you kidding me?
My new favorite grocery store to shop in is Trader Joes. If you are unfamiliar, it's a small grocery store with several locations throughout the US, but headquartered here in SoCal. It's a "neighborhood" type grocery store. They buy direct from the suppliers and brand their own products. So instead of buying Kellogg's Corn Flakes, you'll buy Trader Joe's corn flakes. I think it's the coolest thing ever. Most of the food is all-natural/organic... so kind of like Whole Foods but not over-priced. OKay, TJ plug over.

So anyway, everyday for lunch, I go into my neighborhood Trader Joes and buy a Chicken Caesar Salad and a bottle of water for lunch. I end up paying $3.99 for my entire lunch - fantastic. Well, I was in there today and the girl at the checkout counter proceeds to tell me all about "TOFURKY." Tofurky is creatively crafted from a revolutionary tofu-wheat protein blend, carefully seasoned, and 100% vegan. It "rightly mimics the real thing."

Are you kidding me??

I smiled and nodded along as she told me all about the amazingness of this years Tofurky, while acting like it was revolutionary - you know, just being polite. Trying to find interesting that which she is so passionate about. But then she straight up asks me, "So you think you might give it a try this Thanksgiving?!"

I was like, "um, ... no, probably not. I look forward to eating the real thing on Thanksgiving all year long. I'm pretty fond of real turkey." She laughed kind of awkwardly and said, "You're like 'Nah I like grease!' " I just smiled and laughed and went on my way. But I was like GREASE? Seriously? Thanksgiving is TURKEY DAY! Not Tofurkey Day. Eating Tofurkey on TURKEY DAY would be like buying only a salad at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Or like driving 12 hours to the beach, only to spend your entire time in the swimming pool next to the ocean.

2 comments:

Abigail Boatwright said...

LOL. you are absolutely right. And turkey is good for you! Maybe she would be more convincing if she started talking about eating it to help poor mistreated turkeys or something. But I love me some turkey! Stay back tofu! :-)

kater :) said...

welcome new blogger...nice site! i'm sticking with the real bird as well! :)